Samsung Phone Explodes in Man’s Pocket, Company Blames Third-Party Battery

Samsung smartphones can’t appear to catch a rest. Seconds after the South Korean technology giant place the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone debacle behind it, yet another Samsung phone went up in flames this week.

A Samsung Grand Duos model released in 2013 exploded in a guy’s shirt pocket, Channel News Asia reports. The man in Indonesia is seen falling onto the floor as he tries to remove his shirt after the phone exploded. A graphic CCTV footage of this video, embedded beneath, also captured the incident.

Samsung told CNET that the device in question had a third-party component. The battery to the used device wasn’t fabricated by Samsung or a business authorised by Samsung, it said. “We sincerely wish to our customer’s swift retrieval, and strongly suggest all our consumers to use Samsung’s genuine or approved batteries that have been specifically designed for use in Samsung products.”

The explosion, although no fault of Samsung, is a stark reminder how dangerous these devices could become. Use of third-party batteries and other components is exceptionally common in developing nations, as they tend to be considerably more affordable than their original counterparts.

But for Samsung, which spent much of the late last year grappling with the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, the new incident could further damage its brand value, something that contributes immensely on a purchaser’s purchase decision.

This past year, Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 following several incidents were reported in which the handset was going up in flames. The business later issued an apology and remembered the smartphone.

Advertisement

No comments.

Leave a Reply